Moving is stressful. Deciding what to do with your smart home products as you’re packing boxes doesn’t have to be. We’re often asked for input on the best way to relocate smart home products into a new environment, along with what to do for those you intend to leave behind. Luckily the steps are simple so we thought we’d outline them for the most common moving scenarios:
OPTION 1: LEAVE EVERYTHING FOR THE NEW RESIDENT TO ENJOY
Studies show that homes with smart products tend to sell faster than homes without. If you’re a homeowner and have decided to leave your Wink HUB and compatible products, it’s easy to wipe the slate clean for the next resident:
If you’re the one moving away...
- Navigate to the Hub settings page within the app and remove the HUB from your account (no need to do anything with the other Wink-compatible products).
If you’re the one moving in and inheriting a Wink ecosystem...
- Congrats - we hope you enjoy! Simply download the Wink app on your iOS or Android mobile device, create an account, and connect the HUB following the in-app instructions.
- Once the HUB is connected, all of the previously connected products will become available (note - automations like Robots or Schedules that the previous resident created will not carry over).
OPTION 2: TAKE THE HUB, LEAVE THE PRODUCTS
Say you want to bring your HUB to your new home, but have products like door locks or thermostats that you’d rather not spend the time uninstalling. Decoupling your HUB from your current home while leaving your smart products behind is easy:
If you’re moving and taking your HUB with you...
- The first step is to restore the smart products you’re leaving behind to their factory default settings. The process is specific to each device, and you can visit our product page to find the manual for each Wink-compatible product.
- If you will be using the same router, SSID, and Wi-Fi password in your new home, simply plug in the HUB once you arrive and start connecting new products at will!
- If you are using a new router or have a new SSID/Wi-Fi password, go to the Hub settings page in the Wink app and select ‘Update Wi-Fi’.
- Once the new credentials have been entered, your HUB will successfully connect to your new network and you can begin pairing new products.
If you don’t have a HUB and are moving into a home with existing smart products...
First, download the Wink app on your iOS or Android device and create an account.
Then, pick up a Wink HUB on our website, The Home Depot, or Amazon, and follow the in-app instructions to connect it with your Wink account.
From there, you can start connecting the smart home products the previous resident left behind in a pinch.
OPTION 3: TAKE THE HUB AND MOVEABLE PRODUCTS WITH YOU
If your smart home consists of products that are easily moveable - light bulbs, cameras, and plug-in modules - you’re in luck! Transitioning them to your new home, is almost effortless.
- If you have the same router, SSID, and Wi-Fi password, simply plug the HUB in and start placing your smart products in their new locations. No need to reconnect them to Wink.
- If you are using a new router or have a new SSID/Wi-Fi password, go to the Hub settings page in the Wink app and select ‘Update Wi-Fi.’ Once the new credentials have been entered, your HUB will successfully connect to your new network and you can begin pairing your products.
Have you recently moved in, or out or a smart home? Feel free to share your own tips in the comments below!